Friday, August 1, 2008

Yu Tou Da Wang

There is a lot of hype about ice monster.





'Cause it's a looker.








But only steps from this shaved ice tycoon is a hole-in-the-wall called Yu Tou Da Wang. This is where it's at.







The store sells a variety of soups and ices. To give you a feel for their soup menu there is hongdou tang, huasheng tang, digua tang, yutou tang, bing digua yuan yuyuan tang (笑). So they do serve red bean, peanut and other common bean/nut varieties, but their concentration is definately taro and yam. The shaved ice menu is equally well-rounded but my friend Ruby and I went for the staple yutou shaved ice.

Kanpeki.

Perfect level of cream and density makes the yutou nuggets the best I've had in Taiwan by far (think very vast). They sit atop a heavy drizzling of condensed milk and chooo oishii! I usually have a hard time finishing a bowl if it's just between me and one other person but I later found myself smitten and willing my metal spoon to bend in an impossible way to ladel the last melty remnants. I stopped when it got a bit too sad. But really, there is no way that you will be able to leave yutou niunai bing unfinished. In fact, I am convinced that not finishing can be considered a form of blasphemy, or distasteful at the least.





NT$40-60










Address


15-4 Yong Kang St.
台北市永康街15-4號
(02)23217649

5 comments:

joanh said...

i find ice monster a bit overrated as well.. i'll have to check out the other place next time..

no english addresses? :(

Sera said...

Oops my miss. thanks for telling me~ still a noob

joanh said...

no worries! love your posts! we should meet up sometime.

Sera said...

def! I'm in Taiwan until the 22nd of August.

joanh said...

email me! i'll be out of town a few days but will be back next week. my email info is on my blog