Thursday, July 31, 2008

Long Quan St.

Aside from the famous Salty Chicken and Sheng Jian Bao that Shida night market is known for, there are a few other vendors along Long Quan that I like. I'll start locationwise starting from the end closest to the He Ping Rd. entrance.


Cong bing vendor





Blisters are always a good sign. I love this vendor because he's very generous with his green onions and black pepper. The onions are chopped thick so they have a pulpy bite--green with substance! This is nearly marinated in black pepper. So even if it looks harmless, the numbing sensation will cue you in on the non-red heat.



Two Peck jipai





Two Peck is a chain in Taipei. They just finished constructing a new vendor right outside Guting station exit 5 but I've only been to the Shida night market vendor. You can choose from two flavors spicy and black pepper. The picture above is 香辣 as I think most things taste better hot. This one is even better than the jipai that is famous at Shilin night market. They're confident enough to post a sign in front that says "You must be patient."



Further down right past the 100yr-old Lu Wei stand is this place that sells breakfast items like danbing, fantuan, youtiao, doujiang, etc. I often come here for the seating because as long as you spend NT$15 they won't kick you out for bringing in xiaochi from elsewhere.




This is the only place I know of that sells Jiucaihezi, chives pancake. I'm surprised that a lot of Taiwanese don't know what this is when I ask about it because it is only one of the most delicious things ever. It's something like an oversized guotie with vermicelli noodles, egg, and jiucai (chives, not scallions) as stuffing. Compared to the jiucaihe I've had in the states, this one is smaller and has thinner skin.


Were you to make a detour off of Long Quan towards Shida you'd pass by





Taro glutinous rice cake. A no-brainer for people who love the delicious purple tuber.


And Ke li bing

Many times better than the crepes at the 101 foot-court. I recommend the Mexican Sausage and Super Mango Sundae. There aren't any pictures because I was too hungry both visits.





師大夜市
龍泉街

3 comments:

joanh said...

hahah. i often eat my food before i take a picture too. lots of yummy looking streetfood!

Yours, truly said...

Don't forget who told you about the original jiu cai he zi...lol. My uncle also makes them and they are thinner like that...i should bring you one of his sometime.
This blog is sooo cute jihea and you're a good blogger and surprisingly good photographer as well! I'm so proud of you >.<.

Amy

Chris Chien said...

i really like your photos. :)