Tuesday, July 29, 2008

first post

Two months into my three month stay in Taiwan.
There are good bakeries everywhere in Taipei but IJY Sheng is my favorite chain; I frequent the one in Shida night market because I live only blocks from it. All this was consumed over the course of two months because even I have my limits. I will keep the descriptions to a minimum because its more productive to let you ogle these babies than to say "its sooo good!" after every photo.


Oreo cheesecake #1 best seller in the refridgerated section



I usually don't like the mooncake type texture but this was so beautiful and tasted strongly of taro.



I'm a coffee lover and I take my coffee black with no sugar so I have a bias against any food that makes coffee taste like it should be sitting next to the chocolate milk in the dairy aisle. But this was ranked #2 in popularity so I tried it at the risk of disappointment. And it's good! The pretty little mass decorating the surface is also found sitting on top of a layer of mocha cake and takes it from very good to so good I would get it again and forgo tasting new cakes.



The closest way to describe this is an asian Boston Creme donut. The cavity is filled with a custard and chocolate.



I was never a fan of cheesecake until I had this. If I remember correctly it was 3am when I was converted.



Caramel cake






This was also caramel, with an apple filling






My favorite 麵包 from IJY. I think you can never go wrong with 竹碳麵包. The ingredient is literally charcoal made from bamboo and makes a distinct but elusive flavor that I still can't fully grasp. The color is beautiful and you get a surprise layer of mochi inside.



The 竹碳麵包 was so good I had to try the chocolate counterpart. It loses to the former by a hairline. In place of the mochi there is a layer of chocolate right below the surface.


I haven't seen this in the states but matcha and redbean pairings are very common here.

Innards first because they were so great. The colors reminded me of spumoni.







did I say that I would keep the commentary to a minimum?




Everything NT$30-60


Address

IJY Sheng
一之軒時尚烘焙

台北市師大路 53 號 電話:(02)2362-0425 傳真:(02)2362-2625

1 comment:

joanh said...

yum! looks really good and i've never heard of them til now! i will have to check out the oreo cheesecake and all the other stuff!!