Monday, August 18, 2008

Skylark



Skylark has a lot of branches... 10 to be exact...and Taipei is such a small city that I wonder if this is normal. I've been to the Zhong Xiao Ming Yao one twice, the first time having an unremarkable 香辣咖哩海鮮炒飯 Seafood Curry Pilaf NT$140. But I'm really 貪吃 and while spooning my pilaf I saw this girl with a stylish bob cut in a little black dress eating the squid ink pasta that I might have ordered. Now, I've seen girls eat in Taiwan and this one didn't eat like a little-black-dress girl; she ate like a more-cheese-on-that-burger-please girl. And I had to go back to try it.


烏賊墨義大利麵Pasta with Squid Ink Sauce NT$200


You can choose between thick and thin noodles. I chose thick because I thought it would pick up more sauce, which was the main attraction. Squid Ink is one of my favorite dish themes, mostly because its interesting and pretty and black. Also because I still don't understand the flavor completely. Mystery= ooo sexy. The dish holds herbs, green peas, squid, and 1-inch squares of bacon. I give the dish a good "nom nom" rating because it's delicious. The bacon actually added points and did not overpower the mysterious squid ink taste. The only thing that the dish lacks is that eye-opening spark that makes you rave like a fatty. Otherwise: "nom nom" "smile" "happy." Just remember 注意: you shouldn't eat the red pepper garnish because the heat will make you choke, tear up and temporarily lose your voice. I knowingly did this because I'm one of those desperate Korean girls who get excited when they're given an unexpected red in their food...and perhaps because I have masochistic tendencies.



He got the 厚切牛排草蝦鐵板燒Grilled US Chuck Steak & Herbed Shrimp NT$370
It comes with a black pepper sauce that is a bit overpowering for my liking. And the beef isn't as beefy as I like them. But then again in all my steakings I've only ordered petit filet mignon before (except once when splitting with a girlfriend). And what can you ask of steak in Asia, right? He finished it. And the side items were cooked perfectly fine.





Fruit Iced Tea
Helps when choking and tearing up

Mmm... I would go again for the pasta. Everyone's pasta looked really good.




Address


Zhong Xiao Ming Yao Shop
200 E. Zhong Xiao Rd. 11F
忠孝明曜店
台北市忠孝東路4段200號11F
02-2711-7229

http://www.sky-lark.com.tw/index.asp

Get out of the Zhong Xiao Dun Hua MRT exit 3 and the Ming Yao will be straight ahead to your right.
Also, before you open the link to the Skylark website be prepared to be extremely annoyed by the song that plays. You can turn it off (noticed that a bit late) but it's still really annoying.

No comments: